Processionary remedies: tips and ideas
Beating the processionary process requires targeted interventions but do-it-yourself methods should be excluded as they could be dangerous for health and inefficient. It is well known: when spring comes, nature is reborn, flowers and leaves sprout on the trees, animals come out of hibernation, but with the arrival of this beautiful season the processionary is also coming out. Let’s find out how to deal with this pest and what are the most useful remedies to eradicate it permanently.
What is the Processionary?
The processionaria is a pest that is mainly found in the Mediterranean area: it draws its nourishment from the needles of conifers such as larches or oaks. The particular characteristics of this insect allow to recognize and identify it quickly, in fact it will be easy to notice white filaments released by the specimen on plants or infested trees. In the presence of processionaries, the fundamental aspect to prevent the spread from worsening is to identify the infestation as soon as possible and intervene promptly because contact with this pest represents a serious danger to humans and animals. If you come across the presence of this dangerous insect you must act immediately but you do not always know what to do and what are the most valid solutions for de
bellarlo. However, thanks to a few simple tricks you can eliminate the processionary in a few simple steps and safeguard your health.
When should I perform a Processionary Disinfestation?
The processionary, with the scientific name Thaumetopoea pityocampa, is called in this way because of one of its peculiarities, that is its way of moving and advancing very similar to that of a procession. The processionary tends to be very active once it leaves the nest: during this period it will begin to advance along the barks of trees and will feed on the needles of conifers causing a slow necrosis. As a result, the plants will also be completely defoliated and destroyed. The processionaria is therefore a very dangerous insect, in this regard it is mandatory by law to carry out a thorough disinfestation because in addition to posing a serious danger to humans and animals, it damages the health of trees and plants. A slight contact with this parasite is sufficient for it to release the isthanima, a stinging substance that will contaminate not only the point of contact but also the rest of the body, causing serious erythema. In this regard, as soon as the first symptoms appear, it is advisable to seek immediate medical attention or first aid and treat the problem with professional and effective treatments.
The disinfestation of the processionaria must also be carried out in a specific period in order to guarantee the maximum effectiveness of the treatment: it is advisable to act mainly between spring and summer, when the parasite is still in the larval stage and we will take care to prevent its development and prevent it from becoming a real threat.
Processionary: remedies for disinfestation
It must be stressed that it is compulsory by law to combat the pine processionary processionary in accordance with the regulations and decrees that make its elimination necessary. If the presence of this pest is not eradicated, it may incur heavy fines of around 250 and 1500 euros. The most common remedies to eliminate the processionary are:
- Diffusion of Bacillus thurigiensis: it is an economic insecticide commonly used to eliminate larvae and can guarantee excellent results. It can be applied on various territories such as forests, parks or gardens.
- Setting mechanical traps: this is a mechanical system that is placed along the roots of the trunk with the aim of catching larvae when they try to reach the ground.
- Setting of pheromone traps: this type of instrument is very efficient, in particular it helps to keep under control the reproductive state of the parasite in order to identify male specimens and monitor their spread.
- Mechanical removal of the nest: this is a particularly risky operation that requires many precautions, so it must be performed by a qualified expert who must wear specific protections, be equipped with a ladder and appropriate equipment.
- Use of predatory insects: another effective and completely natural solution to defeat the processionary during a disinfestation is the use of predatory insects such as rue ant or tachinid diptera. This is a very valuable remedy that is also often used by forest rangers to eradicate processionaries.
Each of these solutions is functional and can ensure the desired results, but they are risky and complex remedies that must only be implemented by expert hands after careful inspections and monitoring along the affected areas.
How much does a Process Disinfestation Service cost?
The cost of a processional pest control service can vary depending on the size of the areas to be treated or the species of plants, but in the presence of this insect, the problem should never be underestimated and it is necessary to immediately contact the professionals of the sector who will establish a personalized solution after a careful inspection. In conclusion, if the processionary pest control is carried out immediately by a qualified staff, it will be possible to safeguard one’s own health and that of the plants and ensure that the environment is completely safe.